Tuesday, August 6, 2013

the bucket list

It seems so simple - write down a list of things you know you want to do sometime in your life, and then set about making sure to take time for the extraordinary in the midst of all the ordinary. The picture of Homer Simpson and his bucket list (perhaps a bit literal, but nonetheless, it's a list!) showcases some of the things which give pleasure for Homer to seek, along with a little bit of a dose of reality at the end.


Friends tell me they've written down their bucket lists, and it's apparently wise to tackle a lot of the list while young. I can remember sitting around with groups of student leaders as enthusiastic conversations were held comparing bucket lists. I generally stayed silent during these conversations. 

Confession: I've never actually committed my bucket list to any sort of written form. I may say something is for sure on the list, but I have no written way to recall the events I've deemed of importance. This is by choice.

Ultimately, I believe life is experience-rich and despite being a strong Type-A personality with a to-dominate list at nearly all times on the ever-trusty legal pad, a color-coded planner, and a love for organization, I cannot bring myself to write down a list of "dream things to do", more commonly known as a bucket list. If a dream is strong enough, I believe it will stay with me until it is accomplished. If an experience is meant to be, opportunity will exist. 

I know that on occasion, you need to create your own opportunity in order to move forward. I am not saying I am one to sit around and knit afghans and dream up my Crazy Cat Lady collection while waiting for opportunity to present itself. First, I can't knit (well). Second, I don't even like cats. The Type A in me wants research and facts prior to commitment. When a new potential experience comes to mind, research is there to help me understand WHAT about the idea fascinates me. Perhaps I am interested in skydiving because of the sense of actually seeing all - well, this would translate elsewhere in life and teach me to be more patient and understanding of others in order to see all in another sense. Perhaps I am interested in singing karaoke on a cruise ship (done, surprisingly...) because of knowing exactly no one except who you travel with beyond hellos. Checking things off (or crossing them out, if you prefer) seems a bit impersonal for items one has deemed "must happen during their lifetime". I believe my perception of the impersonal nature comes from my list-making ways in other facets of life. 

I do not write this post to squash the dreams and bucket lists of my friends. Rather, I write it to explain why I choose not to keep a bucket list, but rather to seek out opportunities as they are possible. I believe everyone approaches life in their own way and values their approach most when able to verbalize why. 


No comments:

Post a Comment