Friday, January 3, 2014

Reflecting Upon 2013 & Resolving For 2014

Writers block would come along right after I came up with what I felt was a great title for this blog post. It's been a while...whoops. Plus, it took a few days to piece this together from thoughts keeping my mind occupied while driving halfway across the country to typed words on the screen. A number of transitions made 2013 a bit of a roller coaster, to put it mildly.

Summary (for the tl;dr crew): I have lived in the "deep South" for a year and a half, with a variety of experiences in the classroom, on the job as a hall director, completing an internship, transitioning to a graduate teaching/research assistant, getting my wisdom teeth yanked out, and coping with the consequences of decisions (both good and bad). I also experienced my first time outside of the continental United States via a cruise. 

While there are certain stereotypes that have been embodied in some of the individuals I meet, this is certainly not the case for everyone. As an individual working on a college campus, I am often surrounded by individuals with more liberal viewpoints, which helps create contrast when experiencing the local community.

I've held two different graduate assistantships and completed an internship, all in the South. While it was great to experience two exceptionally different cultures through my experiences in Valdosta and Clemson, I know now the importance of truly assessing one's fit in not only the institutional culture, but also the departmental culture when determining if the position is right. While I can't say that I love my current assistantship or find it particularly challenging, I would argue that it is a better fit for the semester ahead and enhanced my ability to focus on my studies versus feeling trapped by tasks and loneliness.

If you ever have the opportunity to go on a cruise, GO. Seriously. It may seem a bit pricey to think about, but when you think about the expenses of traveling (hotels, rental cars, flights, etc.) you realize it's really an awesome deal, complete with great meals. Every joke you've ever heard about people gaining weight on a cruise has a kernel of truth in it if you're not paying attention to how much  you're eating of everything in sight. I'm so thankful that I had the weeklong escape from the insanity of the Spring 2013 semester, and that my bond with a great friend grew even stronger. I suppose the cabin's small size and the concept of sharing a bathroom approximately the size of half an average elevator makes such things happen. I'm eyeing Alaska cruises for the future. (Hint, hint.)

April (starting with the much needed removal of my wisdom teeth) was a roller coaster in and of itself. I'm about 95% sure I ended up ignoring most of the advice the surgeon gave me and just toughed out the last two weeks. Turns out I do really well on finals whilst bleeding, a strategy I did not use again in either the summer or fall courses I completed.

I experienced the sketchiness of Greyhound in an attempt to make it to my brother's high school graduation, complete with being surrounded by people who deemed it appropriate to sell and swap drugs, knives, and firearms in the back of a bus after the 45-minute public spectacle of them being searched delayed everyone from the planned midnight departure in Nashville. At first, it seemed too much like a giant moral dilemma prompt testing the strength of one's ethics, and I was waiting for the plot twist. (Spoiler: it was real life, and the plot twist came when the bus stopped in a random town in Illinois. I almost vomited in the excuse of a bathroom, but a person can only ignore so much illegal activity before they feel obligated to act in some way.)

I dated a true Southern gentleman for the summer...well, at least I thought so until he decided to break up via text message. Turns out he thought I'd cry/that he sucks at the whole breaking-up-in-person thing...or so the text message goes. A breakup was pretty obviously in the cards for the near future. To celebrate this life event, my roommates and I had grilled hot dogs, wine, and then watched Pitch Perfect, because apparently Pitch Perfect is always appropriate. Or so I'm told...

Once again, I was reminded of the ick of having a birthday during a long holiday weekend. Some would argue that this is the best timing for a birthday, but holiday weekends encourage others to travel and enjoy a brief respite from reality it seems. Just another reminder of who my true friends are versus the acquaintances I keep around for some reason...

I have learned much, much more about who my true friends really are as well as who the fair-weather friends are in my life. It is painful to watch sometimes, but I know that my true friends have always been here for me and are dependable. Tactfully, I can say I have learned the painful truth of how some people see your status (employment, connections, network potential) as the only reason to keep you around until you're no longer necessary to advance their own interests, all while professing how invaluable your friendship is to them.

In many ways, 2013 resembled a yo-yo. Great things would happen followed by some not-so-great things, all while various commitments pulled me in different directions. Many times, it felt like someone was using me in a giant production and needed me to do things just a certain way in order to maintain order.

Well, the above describes the adventures of 2013 in brief since I have been rather lax in blogging my way through the year. With that, it's time to commit to my resolutions.

2014 is a year with intentional change, including a job search, graduating with my master's degree in education, and a year to refocus. 

I have learned a great deal about what I hope to avoid in my pursuit of full-time employment. It is my hope to find a school which provides a great cultural and personal fit within the institution and the community and also be able to continue my education part-time to obtain my Ph.D.

Every time I swipe past the graduation countdown on my phone, a combination of excitement and terror builds. For the first time in...many many years (okay, 20 if you don't count pre-school) I won't be a student.

In a nutshell, my resolutions are:

  • To be much, much better about maintaining regular contact with long-distance mentors/friends who are spread out throughout the country. I am so blessed with a support system that truly gets me and has this uncanny way of knowing when a few words of encouragement are welcomed. I'm sad to say that much like this blog, these mentors are often not someone I keep in touch with on a regular basis. (I can hear someone in the background saying 'bad mentee!')
  • To be more dedicated to my health and work on being less of an emotional eater. The gym and I do need to become good friends, because the scale certainly isn't my friend.
  • Writing a blog post every month or two. ;) 
  • Make the most of the job searching experience, with the ultimate goal of finding a job I will grow to love in a community supportive of my continued growth and development as a young professional.   


No comments:

Post a Comment