Monday, January 6, 2014

"The Great Cold Snap of South Georgia"

The title of this post is intentionally in quotations, as this cold snap includes two consecutive nights of lows predicted in the teens. (Eighteen and sixteen, respectively, for the next two nights, in case you're curious).

Perhaps it is due to a few winters in Colorado (including one memorable winter when we had to use the roof hatch and a sled to enter and exit our home) and some extreme ice storms/snow storms in Missouri but I have to admit that the south Georgia version of a cold snap isn't exactly COLD. Sure, for the area, it's drastic, but in terms of actually being cold...no, not so much. Just put a few more blankets on the bed, go to sleep a bit earlier, and be thankful for those driving in this area that no snow will be falling (otherwise life would be a complete disaster, since they are already terrible drivers).

I'm about 95% sure that if I decided it was a good idea to go to a grocery store today or tomorrow, the place would offer a limited selection of bread, alcohol, and cereal, and whatever else was deemed absolutely necessary for life to continue even if by some miracle the doors of their home freeze shut given the lack of humidity (for once) or potential precipitation. Random thought: I'll never understand why the same people are not also stocking up on other things like toilet paper...

While I can't say I particularly miss the cold, I do miss the bonding experiences being snowed in with friends and family can provide. I'd even argue it's one of the reasons the bonds of those at Northwest are so strong even years after graduation - being snowed in/on is essentially a yearly ritual and you make the most of the experience. I think there are certainly other ways to bond without the need for severe weather, but adventures in a true winter wonderland make for some of the best memories I cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment