Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Let us live today." - J.C.F. von Schiller

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
-William Allen White

Being such a mass of nerves for so long has made this rather...incomprehensible. I can't believe that I did it! It's been a struggle, and I know that I have definitely gotten myself into the unknown. Sometimes you find good things in the dark. The quote above definitely describes at least the next year of my life as I trek upon a new leadership adventure with no predecessors, but plenty of positive encouragement.

We expect more of ourselves than we have any right to.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Perhaps my goals are a bit lofty - but then again, one has to start somewhere, and why not make it something where you leave a personal mark? Creative and innovative ideas are only a small portion of what I've got on my plate, but I look forward to seeing how everything else in my life pans out for the upcoming year. Perhaps I should have started with a smaller, more reasonable goal: like cleaning my room. Again. How did it get so messy in less than a day?! I think that's what I'll do after this.

Put your heart, mind, intellect, and soul even to your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.
- Swami Sivananda

This is a quote that I have used personally to ensure that I pay attention to the details. This weekend, I was asked what my leadership style is...something that I've never been asked or even really considered until that time, for you lead. However, I had an answer, one which I think shows how I act - I think through the details and put them together into the big picture. Perhaps you could call it reverse micromanaging [another word I heard frequently throughout the weekend]. I love that knowing that I dropped off some copies on the right day helps keep things moving, or simply knowing that because I took the time to say hello, it made someone else's day a bit brighter. Success is whatever you decide to make it - and I have decided that my success is to improve not only myself, but my peers, friends, and all those who I interact with in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment