Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Plague #3: Intexicated Drivers spurred on by Textual Satisfaction

Sadly, I even fall under this plague upon society, but I promise that I reforming. Life would be so much simpler if I had a DT [designated texter] with me at all times while I drove. In case you haven't heard the term or guessed, intexicated drivers are those who text and drive, often with little regard to their surroundings.


While I should not defend such behavior, as it is dangerous, I do want to point out that there are drastic differences in the types of roads that a person could be driving on: from the 234982347 lane interstates that seem to never be quick and simple to drive through around massive cities to the one lane dirt roads that begin to restore your faith in humanity and you think it's a miracle to have reception on with your phone to begin with.


I have found that I personally am far less likely to speed while texting and driving, and seeing as I don't have cruise control, that's quite the feat. I don't type away on my full keyboard while I'm surrounded by traffic in the mass and panic of a city. Red lights - acceptable. You're at a complete stop and not going anywhere for a while. While passing someone - NOT acceptable. While alone with no one for miles around - acceptable, but you better be able to type without looking at the keys. Otherwise, get that phone out of your hands.


I was recently reading the Springfield News-Leader [which was free when I purchased another tank full of gas - woot, I might as well kill trees AND the air we breathe in one stop, thank you Kum & Go] and the Opinion section was about this topic. While they weren't quite sophisticated enough to refer to "intexicated drivers" by their proper name, they DID provide me with one very comical fact that makes me question why such a law was made in the first place: 28 people have been ticketed or fined for this offense in the slightly more than 2 years it has been a law. That's slightly more than 1 person a month, for a state boasting a population that is just about to hit 6 million. RIDICULOUS. Additionally, the largest-growing group in the population is the Baby Boomer generation, not the teens and young adults targeted unfairly by this law. Would it make just as much sense if the law was only applied to another age group, say the "30-36 year-old age bracket"? Absolutely not. They would be throwing the same pissy fit that you're seeing teens throw [only, not as well-rehearsed and full of youthful energy] and then defy the law anyway. Knowing this, it seems ridiculous that a law can be selectively enforced based upon age and generalizations such as "less experience driving". Let's give that wacko soccer mom with her umpteen kids in tow a phone to manage on top of the madness of the minivan she's surely driving as fast as possible in order to minimize how much time she spends with those children in the cooped up space. Great idea.


The current law includes the ability to fine a driver up to $200 and to also put the offense on the driver's record. Based upon the statistics above, the state of Missouri had netted $5,600. Given our current economic situation, and how much it costs to keep a patrol car on the roads, are we really using our money/time/resources wisely? Of course not. If people want to text and drive, let them. It's an adult choice, much like driving somewhere, and if you don't want teens to text and drive, perhaps you should reconsider the current driving formula and how old someone has to be prior to obtaining a driver's license. I suggest this solution simply because I'm older. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment