Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sidewalks: avoid them.

Today, as with nearly every other time I trek the few blocks to campus, I walked. It's always a nice walk, and sometimes the weather even cooperates and makes me feel like it's going to be a great day. Today was one of those days. The sun was shining, birds were singing [well, except the one I stepped over], I could hear someone whistling, and the folks who always have the most interesting conversations talked about what they would be grilling tonight. Today they threw a kink in my eavesdropping and talked entirely in French!

Regardless, I was walking along on the sidewalk because it was muddy everywhere else, and there was a cute little sparrow in the middle of the sidewalk just chirping and singing and being all kinds of cheerful. Awesome, right? I didn't realize this cute little birdie was singing so adamantly in the middle of the sidewalk for a reason: to warn me of the danger ahead.

As I walked past that plucky little sparrow, who proceeded to hop after me and continue singing away in an even shriller tone, the bushes to my right began to tremble. I didn't think anything of this...I mean, it's Maryville. The wind is constantly blowing, so limbs are typically swaying. I should have caught on to the fact that the wind was NOT blowing for a strange change of pace.

Out pops this strange black cat that looks pissed off because I interrupted its hunt for breakfast. I saved that little sparrow, but wasn't in time for its pal. This cat decides to go psycho on my ankle/foot, but fortunately only scratched me and then ran off quickly. Regardless, I still went and made sure that I didn't pick up rabies from the angriest black cat I've ever seen...and considering how many cats my grandma had, that's saying something.

The moral of this strange story is to avoid sidewalks when the sparrow tells you to do so. Never doubt the shrill song and its unwillingness to move. They do look out for you, whether you think it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment